Father's Day
A few people were surprised when they discovered John Arne was to become a father. This includes JA himself, to some extent, even though he was a vital and willing participant in our effort to get pregnant. According to JA, he had basically written-off having kids for some time because he'd given up on finding the right partner. And then suddenly there we were, not only in a relationship that we both knew was it, but also creating a family. "I doubled my family twice in one year," he said, "First with you, then the dog and baby."
I suppose the globe-trotting and skydiving and hermity island lifestyle weren't exactly common indications of paternal potential. And I remember a couple of his family members being in disbelief to the point of giggles.
But I never had a doubt. In fact, not long after I met John Arne--less than two weeks later--I had a vision. We were on the ferry headed to La Ceiba. He was standing behind me with his arms around my waist and, I know it seems really cheesy but, I swear I saw this plain as day:

For the record, this girl doesn't go around foreseeing things often. It was actually the first time. And if you've never had a vision, let me tell you, it's something. I was so sure about what I saw that I immediately went off and sent the following email to my dear friend Gillian in London:
subject: i have met
the father of my future children.
john arne loken, of norway. living in utila, honduras. 36 years old, ex-professional skydiver and sailor. bad teeth, fantastic eyes.
miss you, gill.
xo
The best part is I never have to be right about anything else, because I was right about the most important: John Arne is the love of my life and a phenomenal father.
Happy (American) Father's Day, Min.


PS- The "bad teeth" reference is unfortunately very timely. JA has been to the coast twice this week for root canals and the like and must go back on Monday. Poor guy has been unable to sleep two nights in a row for the pain.


4 Comments:
Lovely blog post. Take care of each other.
Blue Skies,
/David
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Ah, yes....I remember the total shock and "tad bit" of disbelief of your meeting and falling so quickly into love. But, my love, I understand "visions" as I have had them. And, I am so very glad you followed your instinct. John is an amazing man, truly your soul mate, and wonderful father. You are blessed.
Mom
Sunday, June 15, 2008
i just cried like a stupid baby reading that. i couldn't ask for anything more than my soulmate, my sister, finding the best dude around. love you both. happy first fathers day john arne. best team ever!
xo
Monday, June 16, 2008
Happy fathers day dear brother! Judging from the pictures I couldn't agree more - you're doing a great job raising children! Just as expected... *sigh* What a romantic blog post!
Monday, June 23, 2008
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home