Utila Art Space
Utila is a beautiful place, but attention to detail isn't exactly common. Don't get me wrong, it exists (Jade Seahorse, Mariposa, Colibri Hill, JA's castle)...it's just that there is a LOT of lopsided cinder block construction in between. So last week when I rode my bike by a woman fixing up a teensy little space I took notice. She was painting and placing tiles outside, scrubbing and planting beautiful tropical plants. At one point I stopped and spoke to her in Spanish. I introduced myself, asked her what she was going to do there, and told her I was really impressed with all of her time and effort. She told me her name was Patricia, that she was working on an art gallery, and that she teaches paiting classes and sells her art.
I saw Patricia several times in the next week. (That happens here...you swear you've never seen someone, which is seems odd enough on a tiny island, and then once you meet them you see them every five minutes.) She's from Argentina (sexy accent!) and just spent four years in Miami where she had several shows. She gave me a few gorgeous invitations for her grand opening and I told her I'd be bringing my best pals Jennifer and Danielle (who, along with myself, John now refers to as the Utila Gourmet Club).
The opening was really refreshing. It was like any art opening I had been to in the USA. Well, it was like any art show opening I had been to in the USA, minus the snobbery and in a space the size of a one-stall bathroom. Patricia had a delicious spread of gourmet treats: homemade papaya and honey preserves, zucchini tart, coffee and orange bread. Her adorable husband was refilling wine glasses and charming guests. The art was lit perfectly and the artist was happily explaining her pieces.
Here are a few pictures from our girls' night out to the Utila Art Space grand opening. Soon you'll be reading about it in the New York Times, just watch.
Jo, Jennifer, Patricia and Danielle outside of Utila Art Space


The Utila Gourmettes, ready for any culinary, artistic, or breast-feeding adventure


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home