Rite of Passage
This video was made on April 24th. Through a stroke of luck, and a story that can only happen on Utila, we acquired a substance that is more valuable in this household than gold. Or even saffron.
A few weeks ago John Arne spied a Norwegian flag on a sailboat out in the bay. He went out to say hello and ended up having a long conversation with Diana and Stein Hoff of Kristiansand, Norway. JA came back home, proudly set a plastic bag on the kitchen island, and said, "I just met some wonderful people." He then proceded to tell me about the Hoffs. They met at medical school in Glasgow, Diana's hometown. After receiving their degrees they moved to Stein's country of Norway and had three children, one of which was born in New Zealand as they sailed around the world. They have since traversed the globe several times. But even more impressive, both Diana and Stein have ROWED across the Atlantic Ocean ALONE. First Diana, and then--not to be outdone--Stein. They have a website so you can see pictures of their lovely family and read more about their incredible adventures here.
My eyes were wide. I thought, "What have I done today? Uhh, changed some diapers. Made enchiladas. Stein and Diana can do those things with their eyes closed, WHILE ROWING ACROSS THE ATLANTIC OCEAN ALONE." Then, just when I thought that these people could not be any more divine, JA opened the plastic bag. A bright light shone out from within and I swear I heard the harp. There before us was a brick of Norwegian brown goat cheese.
I've never met Diana and Stein Hoff. Perhaps it is better that way. Now I can think of them as the fictional adventure book characters they so clearly are, traveling the world with only their wits and water-purifiers, bestowing dairy products from far-off lands on the needy. Thanks to them, on April 24th Bine experienced a Norwegian rite of passage.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home