Sunday, May 02, 2010

Turtle


I slept with Turtle every night (with a few dramatic exceptions) until I was way too old for such things. Each of my grandmothers, and even my great-grandmother, has stitched his neck where I wore it out from carrying him around by the gullet. He accompanied me to Sweden, Spain, France, England, Italy, Ireland, Scotland, Ecuador, and Peru. Maybe more. Once I accidentally left him in the folds of a dingy comforter at South of The Border on the way home from a road trip to Disney World. (One of said dramatic exceptions.) I called the hotel as soon as I realized and begged them to mail him to me, saying it was for my kid. I was twenty-two. When he went with me to the Galapagos a few years later I contemplated setting him free with his wild turtle friends but couldn't for sentimental and environmental reasons.

Sometime in my mid-twenties Turtle disappeared and I didn't see him again until I was packing to move here. He was between plastic storage bins on the enclosed back porch. Dusty, but not resentful. I never doubted that he'd come along.

Now he belongs to Bine. She says he's a girl and that his name is Tuga (short for tortuga, which is the Spanish word for turtle and a character on a children's program that Bine is OBSESSED with). His neck isn't long for this world; there hasn't been stuffing in it since I was around twelve but now you can see straight through the fragile, papery cloth. He's old and he's spending his afternoons with a two-year-old who has reassigned his gender, but he's happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Baby Bloomer said...

Turtle has had quite the life.
Mom

Monday, May 03, 2010

 
Blogger Myra said...

How sweet! You truly have the gift of writing. Love it!

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home