Monday, October 30, 2006

The Other Side of Paradise

I have realized that I'm not giving you the full picture of life on Utila. Even paradise has its drawbacks, so for the love of all that is fair and balanced I will now spell out in graphic detail a couple of those.

Exhibit A: The other night I got up to go to the bathroom and, in classic man-and-woman-cohabitating comedic form, I fell in. (For the record, John is normally really good about, you know, putting the lid down when he's done. Normally.) Gross, right? But now imagine that happening on a Central American island where, because the water supply comes solely from rainfall, the whole "let it mellow" thing is taken very seriously. Needless to say I was having an impromptu and lengthy shower at 3 am.

Exhibit B:

Also, there are the sand flies (which locals call "bobos") and mosquitoes. Here is a picture of my legs last Saturday.









There are at least 70 bites on each lower leg. It's like I have chicken pox.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Just realized a mistyped the bug nickname. It is "booboos," so Uncle Dougie can remain the only pesky BoBo.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home